Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mr. Know It All

I have decided to make it a mission of mine to not judge people by their covers or what I think I know about them.  This is a terrible thing that I have done in the past and over the past twenty four hours I have realized what a mistake it is.  


I have been a Mrs. Know It All.  


The song, "Mr. Know It All" by Kelly Clarkson has a lyric in it - 


Mr. Know It All
Well ya think you know it all
But ya don't know a thing at all
Yeah baby you don't know a thing about me
You don't know a thing about me


An acquaintance of mine passed away on Sunday and I am someone who judged him by what I thought I knew about him.  I've known him since I was young and I didn't take the time to really find out about the person he had turned into over the years.  While I enjoyed his company when I saw him I brushed him off thinking of him as a kid who didn't have direction.  I feel terrible.  I thought I knew about him and I didn't at all.  When I saw something funny he had said on facebook, one less than a week ago, I didn't take the time to comment or show him that I cared.  Why didn't I?    


Take inventory of the people in your life and think about what you really know about them.  Do you think you know all that there is to know or do you make assumptions about them based on what you see from snippets of your time with them?  I let my preconceived ideas get the best of me and I can't let that happen again.  


All I know is that I will be thinking a lot more on this subject and make it a point to ask questions, listen for answers, and value the experiences, thoughts and beliefs that a person carries with them before I decide what kind of person they are.  Really, I should not even be the one deciding what kind of person they are, but I should let them show me and make that showing teach me what kind of person they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment