Wednesday, November 16, 2011

God Of This City

I first heard the song, "God Of This City," sung by Chris Tomlin at a conference when I was a junior in college.  The song comes to me at strange times- when I'm driving in the city, when I'm sitting on the train, when I'm at work, or even when I'm just with friends.  


Last week I became aware of an organization, one that I had heard of before, but had never really considered before.  The group is called Big Brothers, Big Sisters and it is something that I am really interested in becoming a part of.  Whether I decide that I want to become a mentor or just volunteer at one of the clubs in the city, I am excited.  I am excited to know that while I help people at work, now I will be helping someone out of my own volition, not just because I am at work.  


The reason that the song "God Of This City" is prevalent is because there are clubs all over Chicago and from what I can see through my research is that they are doing great things.  There is so much that needs to be done, people need to remember that they are not going about their own daily lives separate from everyone else, but that they are a part of a larger society that needs to do more to help those around them.    


As the song says, "greater things are yet to come, greater things are still to be done here."

No comments:

Post a Comment