Monday, February 7, 2011

Firework

I've realized that over the course of my life, I've defined myself as the shy, quiet girl.  Whether I did this to fill in a gap between my funny and athletic sister, outgoing brother or witty brother, or to just be a little more invisible in the crowd while going through school, or if I did this because I was afraid of being something else, I'm not sure.  While being shy and quiet are two things that I cannot eliminate out of my personality, they are only two aspects of who I am among many different qualities.


I'm not the biggest Katy Perry fan, but there is something about her song, "Firework," that really strikes a cord with me.  And especially meant something to me this weekend when I was surrounded by people both whom I know very well and not well at all and for once I felt like I had no walls up.  I wasn't self-conscious about the way I looked, or nervous about conversation, or anxious about seeing certain people.  I was really comfortable in my own skin which is a feeling that I am not used to.  It felt really good to feel that way.


Just because I've always been the shy, quiet girl doesn't mean that I always have to be the shy, quiet girl.  Even though we are now a month into the new year, my resolution is to try to step out of my comfort zone and to live my life outside of those two words that I have defined myself by for so long.  In doing this, I hope to continue to get more comfortable in my own skin and to be confident in who I am and what I have to offer those around me.


If you haven't heard the song, look up the lyrics, maybe the words will jump off the page and ignite something in you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment