Sunday, April 10, 2011

If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out

What a great few days I have had!


The past few weeks have been full of seeing friends that I don't often get to see and getting to take some much needed breaks off of work.


Last weekend I took a mini spring break trip with my roommate to Springfield where a good friend from college lives and then the three of us spent a fun few days in St. Louis just hanging out and spending time with each other.  While in STL I was able to meet up with two of my nursing school pals which was a last minute activity and was really nice.  This past weekend a friend from school flew in from California with her partner and my roommate and I showed them around the city on Friday and drove down to our alma mater on Saturday to watch our friends participate in the alumni soccer game.  It was so much fun being at school without having to stress about schoolwork, exams, deadlines, friend drama, etc.  The day was absolutely gorgeous (and I have the sunburn to prove it!).  After the game we went down to Springfield where we spent a fun-filled night of more hanging out, catching up, and playing games.


The song of the past few days is "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out," by Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam).  My mom was a fan of Cat Stevens when she was younger so I grew up listening to his music.  


For me this song signifies being yourself and comfortable in your own skin.  This weekend I felt completely and totally comfortable in my own skin.  This is something that I've been working on for what feels like my whole life and I feel like I've finally accomplished it.  I know that there will still be times when I struggle, but I'm really getting to a great place with accepting myself for who I am, my strengths and weaknesses, my quirks, my looks, my beliefs.... everything!


My friends have really seen the changes in me lately and kept saying how happy I seemed and how my mood was so great.  I attribute that all to this 'comfort' I'm feeling with myself and where I'm at in my life and the things that I'm doing at this point in time.  All weekend all I could say was "I'm so happy!"  Really, I don't know how many times those words came out of my mouth.  


I'm exhausted and am ready for bed and am excited for the week to start, work and all.  And you know what, I'm smiling right now and I'm thinking, "I'm so happy!"  


What an incredible feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment